Friday, June 23, 2006

Everything turns out for the best in this best of all possible worlds

I never update this thing but I thought it could use a touch of Panglossianism. Things are working out pretty well for me. I got on Law Review, I'm doing an exciting and interesting summer internship in a Chinese law firm, and my personal life is just fine too.

That's boring. Bring back the depression and angst.

Oh ok, how about the US losing to Ghana, who have officially lost their charm for me, having gotten a ridiculous call resulting in a penalty. I'll probably root for them against Brazil, though with their playmaker Essien gone due to getting a second yellow against the US, they won't win. On the other hand, the tepid and uninspired play by the US really didn't warrant advancing either. With luck, Bruce Arena will be replaced by someone who can whip these players into line and who has a better sense of tactics. The excellent recent article in the NYT on the US's human resources blinders in recruitment for the national team really hit home: why, with the talent in every park, is the US team exclusively composed of suburban college kids? Dumb, dumb, dumb. Bring on a mean German coach who will teach these guys how to win in Europe.

When I was leaving the bar last night at half time, a digusting human being got their child to beg for money from me. Nothing has sickened me as much my entire time in China. I gave the woman a good cursing in Chinese, which from her reaction, I doubt she expected from a foreigner exiting a Westerner bar. I don't regret a minute of it, but I wish I had had a candy to give the child. Poor sweet little girl.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?